Monday, November 14, 2011

Doggie Needs a New Pair of Shoes

We've already had some biting days in the Midwest and as I walked my shepherd Xella yesterday, I realized that soon the path we currently enjoy at a local golf course will be covered in snow, then plowed and heavily salted. It's nice for me because it's one of the few places that I don't have to wear my Get-A-Grips and can walk normally in my tennis shoes, but the large amount of salt they use on the path in order to make it nice for me makes it horrible for Xellie's feet. Even trying to steer her around some areas, if she even looks at the salt she seems to start limping.

Last year we whipped out the dog booties I had stored in the deep recess of the hall closet. I like the idea of the booties, but it seems that whoever we put them on, be they puppy, adolescent, or adult, the booties have always gone flying off their feet and it's very difficult to get them back on when the wind is howling, the snow is deep and the dog is jerking his or her foot out of my hand every two seconds.

So we're off to find new shoes this year. Shoes that will actually stay on their feet, won't turn on their foot and give them the protection they need from the snow and ice. I just came across these shoes on Etsy and they look promising. These would stay higher up on their leg which I like for shepherds and the fact that the store, Woofsdogboots, take's my dog's dimensions into consideration, makes the probability of a better fit more likely. While Xella has little feet, Hasko's feet are huge so obviously the same pair of shoes won't work.

Even more that a dog coat, a good pair of shoes goes a long way for the cold winter months. They keep your dog's feet dry, protect them from ice that can cut their paws and salt that can burn and won't allow them the opportunity of ingesting salt or other chemicals should they lick their foot after a walk. So if you're like me and your dog is in need of a new pair of shoes, I'd check this store out!

No comments:

Post a Comment