Friday, November 18, 2011

Etsy Store Profile: Chilly Paws

In our second installment, we'll get to know Danielle Baker and her Etsy store, Chilly Paws.





1. Name: Danielle Baker

2. Etsy Store: ChillyPaws http://www.rendachs.etsy.com/

3. Year Founded: 2009

4. Is this your first online store? ChillyPaws is my first venture online - I joined Etsy in 2008. I lurked about for a while - deciding how to best showcase my items.

5. I decided to open an Etsy store because... I liked the venue that Etsy offered, being in a 'store' with other dedicated shop owners along with Etsy's reputation was enough to get me interested in opening a shop. I am able to reach a broader audience.

6. I would describe my store as.... A place to purchase the highest quality items for your pets. The 'go to' place for discriminating pet owners. I offer a product that rivals Mercedes Benz in luxury and quality for the doggy Divas of the world.

7. The biggest surprise in opening my store has been... The following my shop has from customers outside the U.S. Etsy has truly helped me become an 'international' seller!

8. Typical number of hours spent per week on my store: There are not enough hours in the week for me! My business is steady and growing - except for the holidays, which is my busy time - I love it! I work at least 65 hours per week - either sewing, shopping for unusual materials, working on new creations or just talking about it!

9. My most marked characteristic is... You are able to pick out items from my shop by the quality of the materials used, the detail of the design and the durability of my items. The most marked characteristic would be the originality of my designs. My items are tried and true -My dogs used my bed - my cart covers, my toys and my towels. My dogs insist on quality control - I work for the woofs and wags. If my dogs didn't use my Snuggle Sacks and blankets, how would I know my products are as good as they are? My grandcub Cairo, a white Bengal tiger also wiggled his furry bottom in my snuggle sacks as a tiny cub - so you see everyone enjoys a ChillyPaws Snuggle Sack.

10. In my spare time I... My spare time is limited. I enjoy reading, I love the beach and I am blessed with amazing friends. During the holiday rush I sleep in my 'spare time'!!

11. Length of time before listing my first item and making my first sale: It took 3 weeks for the first customer to take a chance on one of my items - I was so nervous. I held my breath until my first positive feedback. What a rush!!! someone loved my items - My first sale was a pink shopping cart cover.

12. Biggest business mistake I learned the hard way was... a shop without new listings gets no sales. Stale merchandise lingers.

13. I market my store by...ads on twitter, squidoo, facebook and referrals.

14. I wish I knew how to... Relax and enjoy the moment.

15. If I could change one thing about myself it would be... I would like to be able to cope with daily pressures better - to relax more and worry less.

16. Best part of having an Etsy store: having instant access to an international market. I can work in my PJ's with my dogs all around me...that's the best!

17. Worst part of having an Etsy store: Never being able to actually walk away for a few days for a get-away. Also, I work alone - and sometimes it would be nice to have more direct interaction with customers.

18. The best piece of advice I can share on having a successful Etsy store is... You have to be dedicated as you establish your store. Listing consistently and getting involved with the Etsy community. Customer satisfaction is paramount to your success. Make sure your product is well made and well advertised....and promote! Promote! Promote! Business cards - hand them out to everyone everywhere.

19. Last item I bought on Etsy was... Microwave potholders - from http://www.handmadebit4u.etsy.com/ - They're perfect for the "too hot, ouch" out of the microwave bowl of soup or stew or to insulate your hands from an ice cold ice cream bowl. I can't live without them.

Danielle didn't add an item to promo from her shop, so I figured I'd add my two cents! With the wind nearly knocking me over today and temps plummeting, when I saw the picture for this listing all I could think was, "Could this dog look any more comfortable (or adorable)!" If your dog could use a new bed or you're looking for the perfect gift for that special relative or friend who has a dog, be sure to check out Danielle's Dog Bed (it also includes personalization)!

Thanks again Danielle for sharing your thoughts and experiences and giving advice on how others can enhance their own Etsy shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment